I do like maps, strongly, not quite enough to love them. Love being such a big word in small letters. I use a map when I explore rural ruins. I use it to find the locations when others tell me they have found an abandoned farmhouse in my area. I have a backroad map which (so far) has been very reliable, even when I’ve taken some pretty far fetched turns.
For his birthday, I gave my nephew two full poster-sized maps. One of Canada and the other of the World. We put them up in his bedroom. Is it only a co-incidence that geography is the subject he seems to be having the most trouble with this year? I hope so. I may not be ready to tell him everything he needs to know about geography but I would like to see him learn about rocks, maps and navigation. One of the most important things in life is knowing how to navigate your way.
I remember the last time I looked at a really old map. I liked seeing the terrors written on there like monsters and the edge of the world. Thanks to cartographers and world explorers and ancient navigators we know the world does not end with a sudden drop. Modern explorers and those into geocaching use a GPS to find their way around. But even then, the old fashioned map is at the root of every exploration.
- The International Map Collector’s Society
- Map History.info
- Road Map Collectors Association
- Flickr: Maps and Charts
- Flickr: Cartography
- Flickr: Pictures of Maps
- Mapperz: The mapping news blog.
- The Map Room: A weblog about maps.
- Strange Maps
- Cartographer’s Guild
- CartoTalk: A forum for cartography and design.
- Cartophilia: Maps and map memorabilia.
- Cartography Online
- The Canadian Cartographic Association
Old/ Vintage Maps
- Map the Universe: Antique Map Collecting
- Flickr: Vintage Road Maps
- Flickr: Old Maps
- Flickr: Maps on Postcards
- Show Off Your Maps
- Pauus Swaen Auction: Tips for Map Collectors
- International Antiquarian Map Sellers Association
- MapHist: An email discussion about the history of cartography.
Hand Drawn Maps
- Flickr: Handmade Cartography
- Flickr: Creative Cartography
- Flickr: Illustration Maps
- Flickr: Altered Maps
- Making Maps: DIY Cartography
- Hand Drawn Map Association
- The Maps Project